Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ScArEcRoWs!!!

November. The weather and scenery is changing fast and I can't believe how time is flying. We've been learning about scarecrows and harvest in preschool this week. It's one of my favorite units. They are one of those agricultural "tools" that we forget about even though they have been around for over 3,000 years in most countries around the world. They are vital to keeping the birds from eating all the seed that produce life-sustaining foods for people need to live on.

So how do you build a scarecrow when you're in preschool? With an assortment of supplies, like below:



To begin our cute scarecrows, I used a "gingerbread man" pattern/shape cut out from yellowy paper. I recently hemmed a lot of jeans for my kids and saved the scraps for overalls. Each of the kids got to choose the color of pattern paper they wanted for their shirts. The "construction" of the scarecrow was a work of patience and stickiness. There was tons of glue...but hopefully than means that the yarn used as "straw" didn't come off in the car on the way home.




(not pictured: Zachary, Trianna, Ethan and Alayna)
Ours turned out very cute with the help of a few simple crafty things. I wasn't going to add the sticks, but Zachary reminded me that they were needed to stand up straight in the garden. (He's pretty sharp...and he made a similar crow with me last year in preschool ;)


Tomorrow we are starting letter I and learning about Corn/Maize. It's sure to be fun and colorful as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment