Thursday, October 21, 2010

Geo-Boards

I've taught preschool for 7 years and I'm continually learning things that incorporate well into my lesson plans and structure. One of these ideas came three years ago when I was a brand-new den leader in Cub Scouts with my boys. The Boy Scouts of America have a structure that you follow for the weekly meetings. The meeting is only 1-1 1/2 hours long--but it's with all boys--and you've only got so long to engage them and keep them focused. Each meeting starts with a gathering activity, because everyone doesn't show up all at the same time.


I don't remember what I was doing in preschool before this concept was introduced to me--but it is WONDERFUL to have an activity that is already prepared for the kids to be doing as everyone is arriving.



So I always leave things on the table for the kids to do, such as puzzles, sorting games, books, tan grams and pattern cards, and one of my favorites--geo boards. These are so cool. They are either square or circular and are pegs that the kids can create designs from with rubber bands. The possible designs are as endless as their imaginations. They are easy to clean up and maintain and come in so many different colors. I like the colored rubber bands to add dimension as well. It holds their attention just long enough not to become boring and unusable. They are developing thinking skills...planning, plotting, and designing a look all the while of building fine motor skills as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment