Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Rainbow Fish

One of my all-time favorite children's book is The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister. I first heard the story in 1994 and immediately purchased my first copy of it, long before I was even married and had kids of my own. And since 2002, it has been a much appreciated story that I read to the kids in my preschool classes during the beginning of the school year, to remind them that it is always better to share and be kind to others.
After I read the story, we made our own little rainbow fishes. You may have noticed these cute little fishes in the back packs on Friday. It broke the ice for many of the kids and our preschool school experience. The scissors and glue came out! We started by gluing the colorful bits onto the fish with a glue stick.
Everyone did a great job and worked pretty independently for the most part. It is the beginning of the year...and there are a couple of children who were thrilled with the prospect of scissors in hand.
After all the color was on the fish, we added one sparkling scale to our Rainbow fishes to remind us that we can share with everyone and still be happy. [My memory card in the camera wasn't working the morning that we did this project--so I don't have any cute pictures of your little ones just yet, but they will come as we do more and more fun activities in preschool--so stay posted.]

No comments:

Post a Comment